Photo: Ragnar Vutt
Renewing and developing Valga-Valka twin town common recreational area
The main objective of the project is to develop and improve common attractive recreational area around Pedele/Pedeli river and Konnaoja/ Varžupīte stream for citizens and guests of Valga-Valka to spend their leisure time or to do sports and to encourage integration of communities across the border.
This project could be seen as a continuation of Valga-Valka Central Area with the aim to improve the connectivity and accsessibility of the Twin-Town centre, to diversify the range of possible leisure and sports activities and make the city center attractive to everyone – families, children, youngsters and elderly people. In addition, to improve and promote light traffic in cities in order to adhere to the principles of sustainable urban mobility.
Main activities include:
- Cleaning 2 artificial Pedele lakes and Konnaoja/Varžupīte from Raina/Sõpruse Street till private lands on Semināra Street 3, in order to improve environment requirements and to provide nature-friendly and clean recreation area.
- Renewing urban landscaping and creating biodiversity areas taking into account the principles of species-rich urban space in order to provide housing for various plants, animals, birds and insects.
- Creating a fountain in Pedele river.
- Trimming trees and bushes to improve the view to Pedele river and to Estonian side from Putraskalns.
- Installing streetlightning in blind spots.
- Creating attractive activities in Semināra street 1.
Creating facilities for leisure time and sports:
- Creating resting areas and installing new urban furniture.
- Improving/reconstructing existing sports fields and children's playgrounds.
- Creating new facilities for active leisure.
Improving connectivity and accessibility:
- Creating pathway next to Konnaoja/Varžupīte from Raina/Sõpruse Street till private lands on Semināras Street 3.
- Reconstructing Semināra/Sepa bridge.
- Reconstructing pedestrian’s paths from Sēlija Street till Ramsi bridge on both sides of Pedele river
Rising the awareness and visibility and integration across the border:
- Organizing project final event.
- Disseminating project activities via joint website and social media channels.
- Organizing event for kindergartens.